Voice/Data Network Technology
Table of Contents
Higher Level Protocols
Voice TDM/VoIP Stuff
H.323 et. al.
Commercial Enterprise Voice Equipment Vendors
Open Source PBXes
- Asterisk - Open Source PBX - Sponsered by Digiium
- talky.io - free webrtc video chat/screenshare written by &yet feedback going to google and firefox?
- simpleWebRTC - server that supports WebRTC
Cloud-based Telephony Providers
Security Stuff - Defending against VoIP attacks
Cert Stuff...CCIE, CCNA, etc...
Add Cisco Websites
Organizations & Standards
- ITU - European Standards Organization...used to be CCITT - and their H Series Recommendations (i.e. H.323 et. al.)
- IEEE - and their 802 standards online, including their portfolio page. Also a local 802.x quick ref page.
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- IANA - Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
Regional Internet Registries (RIRs)
- AfriNIC (African Network Information Centre) - Africa Region
- APNIC (Asia Pacific Network Information Centre) - Asia/Pacific Region
- ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers) - North America Region
- LACNIC (Regional Latin-American and Caribbean IP Address Registry) - Latin America and some Caribbean Islands
- RIPE NCC (Reseaux IP Europeans) - Europe, the Middle East, and Central Asia
- IETF, the RFC index, and the 12 Most Recent RFCs.
- Ohio State's RFCs
- The RFC Archive's Recent RFC list.
- Ethernet/IP - Industrial industry take on Ethernet/Industrial Protocol (uses Internet Protocol)
- CompTel/ASCENT -
trade association representing facilities-based carriers, providers
using unbundled network elements, global integrated communications
companies, and their supplier partners.
- ACM - Association for Computing Machinery and their Sigcomm SIG.
- VOIPSA - The Voice over IP
Security Alliance (VOIPSA) aims to fill the void of VoIP security
related resources through a unique collaboration of VoIP and
Information Security vendors, providers, and thought leaders.
- European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI)
- Distributed Management Task Force
- NENA - National Emergency Number Association. Promotes 911.
- OASIS - Organization for the Advancement of Structure Information Standards
- Third Generation Partnership Project (3gpp)
- Third Generation Partnership Project 2 (3gpp2)
- Parlay X - The
Parlay Group is a consortium formed to develop open,
technology-independent application programming interfaces (APIs) that
enable the development of applications that operate across converged
- upperside conferences - a European conference organizer that among other things runs the SIP 2008 conference.
- tmforum's IPDR Compliant Vendors & Products - definition
- Uptime Institute - The
Uptime Institute provides education, publications, consulting,
certifications, conferences and seminars, independent research, and
thought leadership for the enterprise data center industry and for data
- ngnm.org -
initiative by a group of mobile operators, to provide a coherent vision
for technology evolution beyond 3G for the competitive delivery of
broadband wireless services. Members include China Mobile, KPN, NTT
DoCoMo, Orange, Sprint Nextel, Vodafone, and Tmobile
Company Product refs
- Windstream - bought Paetec
- Megapath - merged with Covad and Speakeasy
Internet Registration information
Remind network vendors
Net Comparisons (WIP)
- InSSIDer - find WiFi networks within range
- Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector - find WiFi networks within range
- Connectify - turns Win7 PC into hotspot
- WeFi - find hotspots in other locations
- Hotspot Shield - uses HTTPS to secure packets?
- Plug and Browse - quick switch your network settings
Online Voice/Voicemail Services
- Google Voice
- Ribbit Mobile
- NDG Software - makers of Net Monitoring and Net Analysis software...
- Telocity.com - Cheap DSL?!? Chicago first...
- Xylan - Alcatel division makes modular switches...
- Xedia - Internet access products and technologies.
- Fiberlink - International dialup POPs VPN back to your location
Cabletron is splitting into the following:
- Riverstone Networks will sell into the hot service provider market.
- Global Network Technology Services will do network consulting.
- Aprisma - network management spin-off - Spectrum.
- Enterasys Networks will focus on the enterprise.
- Sycamore Networks - (SCMR)
- Redback Networks - (RBAK)
- Wildpackets.com - They make etherpeek.